Ever since recreational marijuana was legalized in Maine earlier this year, we have seen a number of pets affected by marijuana toxicity.

Marijuana ingestion is very common and can cause a variety of clinical signs, including neurological problems (incoordination, stupor, dilated pupils), gastrointestinal issues (vomiting and diarrhea), urinary incontinence, and decreased heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature.

Signs can last up to 96 hours post exposure, and can occur with variable levels of ingestion. Other toxins can cause similar signs, so it's important to call your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet is exhibiting these signs or has ingested any form of marijuana.

Please keep the following in mind:

  • Keep all marijuana products, including plants, edibles and oils, out of reach of pets.
  • Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet has ingested any at all. Save any packaging or wrappers from edible products and bring them with you.
  • Honesty is the best policy. Please be up front about the possibility of marijuana toxicity if your veterinarian asks. We aren't here to judge, but we need all the information you can give us in order to treat your pet appropriately.
  • Remember that edibles, such as baked goods, may be especially enticing to pets, and may include other toxins, such as chocolate.
  • You can call us at (207) 657-3393 with any questions. If you need help while our office is closed, please call one of the emergency clinics in the greater Portland area (Animal Emergency Clinic: 878-3121, Maine Veterinary Medical Center: 885-1290).

Learn more about marijuana toxicity in pets here.